Intro to solar water heaters
A solar water heating system is a device that uses the sun’s rays to heat water for domestic, commercial, and other needs. It is the most common application of solar energy in the world to heat water. With a solar water heating system, you can save up to 1440 units of electricity per year for every 200 liters of a solar water heater.
S.No Item Material Diameter Thickness Process
1 Inner Tank GI 380 mm 1.5 mm CO2 welding
2 Inner Tank Side Cover GI 380 mm 1.5 mm
3 Glass Coating 1
4 Outer Tank Precoated GI 480 mm 0.45 Hemming And Seaming
5 Outer Side Cover GPSP 480 mm 0.35 Forming-Powder Coated
6 Puff 46 Grade 50 Injection Filling
7 Inlet Connector GI 3/4” CO2 welding
8 Outlet Connector GI 3/4” CO2 welding
9 backup socket GI 1 1/4” CO2 welding
10 Silicon Ring Silicon 58 mm OD
11 Dust Ring EPDM 58 mm OD
12 Connector Dust Ring EPDM 3/4”
13 ETC Tube 58X1800 Three Targeted 58 mm OD 1.6 Type-Three Targeted Coating-AL-SS-CU
15 Polythene Bag polythene 50 micron
16 Safety Cap for threading HDPE 3/4”
17 Corrogated Box Boxes-180 GSM 5 ply
How a solar water heater works
- Generally, the system is installed on a roof or open ground, with the collector facing the sun and connected to a continuous water supply.
- Sunlight heats the water, which then flows through tubes.
- For later use, it is stored in tanks.
- Since the storage tank is insulated and heat losses are minimal, the water in the tank stays hot overnight.
Uses of solar water heater
- In homes, SWHs can be used to produce hot water for bathing, cleaning, and washing. Solar water heaters (SWHs) with capacities of 200, 300, 500 liters are suitable for domestic and commercial use.
- SWHs with a capacity of 200 liters can replace an electric geyser for residential use and save 1400 units of electricity annually.
- The use of 1000 SWHs of 200-liter capacity each can save 1 MW in peak load costs.
- An SWH of 200 liters capacity can prevent the emission of 1.5 tonnes of carbon dioxide each year so it is environmentally friendly.
- SWHs have a life expectancy of 15-20 years. Replaced electricity pays back in 3-4 years.
What is the cost of installing a solar water heater?
The total cost of a solar water heating system is dependent upon many things. Among these factors are the capacity, the backup system used, the material of the inner and outer tanks, the length of the distribution piping needed to supply hot water to the bathrooms, etc.